“What Not to Wear” was a TV series hosted by TLC for many years, featuring style experts “Stacy London” and “Clinton Kelly”. The premise of the show was to ambush “a style felon” and critique them on their style choices. Often the participants used clothing as a way to hide or bury who they thought they were. The hosts not only addressed the issue of clothing, but sought to get to a deeper place of why and help these women overcome some misconceptions they held about themselves. The transformation that often occurred in the participants was very touching, but I suspect often temporal.
I think many of us are like the unsuspecting participants in the What Not to Wear Show. We either dislike who we are, have been lied to about who we are and the value we have, or we simply do not know the truth of our identity. Consequently, we go out and about, trying to cover up or bury ourselves in things that really do not look good on us. Garments that do not reflect our true selves or our real beauty. We cover up with anger and jealousy. We put on pride and self righteousness. We layer up with rags of self pity and contention. Often the things we “put on” reflect our brokenness rather than our wholeness in Jesus Christ.
Those of you, who know me, know that I like pretty things….especially pretty clothes! I love getting dressed up! I have been this way since I was a small girl! Who doesn’t like dress up! I believe this desire to be adorned is something the Father has placed within our hearts. After all, it is the desire of His heart to adorn His children. The garments our Father has designed for us….well….they are not just cheap knock offs….they are divine designs that He has created with us in mind! He wants his sons and daughters to look just like Him! His garments not only look good on us, but are a perfect, tailored fit.
They were specifically made for us and they authentically reflect who we really are in Him! His garments are righteousness and holiness, salvation and truth, kindness and compassion, mercy and love. These garments of grace will last a lifetime and never, ever wear out! They never go out of season! They always fit! No dieting required! And they always allow us to look our best for His glory!
I am overwhelmed with joy in the LORD my God! For he has dressed me with the clothing of salvation and draped me in a robe of righteousness. I am like a bridegroom in his wedding suit or a bride with her jewels. Is 61:10…
And put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth. Eph 4:24
So the next time you do not know what to wear….remember who you are in Jesus Christ….and step out in the beauty of His holiness and dress up in the truth of your identity in Him. Trust me….you look fantastic!
Verse Of The Day
- 2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.
- 2 Corinthians 1:10 He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again.
- Colossians 1:13 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son
- Hebrews 6:19-20 We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.
Questions For The Day:
- What does it mean to be clothed in Righteousness
- Do you know what some of the primary outfit items were that the Old Testament Priest wore for ceremonies?
- do some research and you will discover that each item the Priest wore, pointed towards Christ. http://www.stevemcvey.com/change-your-underwear.html
- If you are wearing good clothes, will you go and do some gardening, spread manure, do an oil change on your car? Why not?
- What does it do to your mindset when you walk out each day knowing you are dressed to live well?
Video Of The Day
Francesca Battistelli – He Knows My Name https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWNwQg3xoJw
Heavenly Father, show me my wardrobe! Some days I have bad taste in what I wear, will you be my taste, and my wisdom? I want to dress daily in the outfits you have already given me, and I don’t want to get them dirty!! Thank you for being so generous.