A LONG time ago, I used to run a lot. Sometimes it was because I was in a race, and other times, well, let’s just say I didn’t know how to keep my mouth shut. On some of those ‘unfortunate’ occasions when I as being chased, I ran has hard and fast as I could. Sometimes it was a group of bullies, other times it was one guy on a bike chasing me down, but I could run fast. I remember one particular time running so hard, but the guy was gaining ground, so I threw off my heavy backpack filled with school books, gym clothes, lunch container items, etc. I suddenly was able to run faster and made it to a house that had a ‘Block Parent’ sign in the window. (block parent was a special ‘Community Safety Program’ put in place so people/children in trouble could go to a ‘safe’ house when in trouble). That was a tough day, the bullies wrecked almost everything in my backpack, and I still had many lessons to learn in life!
Hebrews 12:2-3 (The message) It means we’d better get on with it. Strip down, start running—and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in.
Two lessons can be taken from this unique event.
- Get rid of backpack. That backpack was weighing me down from the urgency of running ‘my race’ (away from people…ha ha). There is tremendous wisdom in asking the Holy Spirit to show you what things may be ‘hindering’ your full experience of the life already within you! Perhaps he is showing you things that are hindering your walk with your loving Papa? Some things may be obvious, other things, well, they will just take time to be revealed. (Go back and read the “are you thirsty” blog for a reminder of ‘who’ does the internal hunger thing)
- Get rid of those bad habits. Unfortunately for me, learning to stop putting my foot in my mouth and keeping my mouth shut took a long time. In fact, I’m sure I’ve still not mastered it! You have to admit, there are a few things that we do that just are not wise. There are behaviours that could use some ‘adjustments’. I’m talking about those things that do not reflect the life of Christ in you. This area requires revelation from the Holy Spirit, let Him show you what needs changing, and ‘when’ it needs changing. Just listen.
Help is within grasp. You are not alone. The Block Parent sign can be seen all around you. It is actually written inside you. Take time today to reflect on the help that is already in you. Reflect on what the Holy Spirit brings to your mind on ‘what He wants you to throw off’. So, seriously….get rid of that! (***READ TODAY’S VERSE…..REALLY IMPORTANT!***)
QUESTIONS FOR THE DAY
- Where the items in my backpack bad, wrong, or sinful?
- Was the ‘block parent’ sign in place before I had trouble, or was it there all along?
- How do you respond to the idea of ‘throwing off everything that ‘hinders’? do you suddenly start ‘over analyzing’?
- Is it easier to make your own list, or to wait for the Holy Spirit to confirm and impassion you with His desires?
- What is the difference between: “No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins”?
VERSE FOR THE DAY
Hebrews 12:12 (Mirror Bible, Francois Du Toit). Shake off your weariness, loosen your limbs, catch your breath! (Get back into faith-mode, quit the flesh-mode) 12:13 Get rid of all obstacles that could possibly cause you to stumble and sprain an ankle! Don’t let a recurrent injury force you out of the race. 1Recover and carry on running. Don’t allow old legalistic mind-sets to trip you up again. 12:14 Pursue peace with all men; true friendship can only be enjoyed in an environment of total forgiveness and innocence. This makes God visible in your life. 12:15 You must understand that this is a grace-race and not a law-race…. (We are all equally included in the same victory in Christ!)
VIDEO FOR THE DAY
Chris Tomlin – Come home running https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN-VG1uvNj4
Heavenly Father, will you ever so gently reveal to me those things that are weighing me down or hindering me from experiencing you more fully as my Life? My desire (which originates in you) is to know you better and to more fully experience your love and power in my life. Thank you Jesus for being my prayer!